L'Homme qui marche
L’Homme Qui Marche by Auguste Rodin has a long history. The sculpture was not modelled in a single session, but appears to be an assemblage of various studies and components from other sculptures. Around 1877 Rodin began work on a series of preparatory studies that resulted in a sculpture of John the Baptist in 1880. Two Italian men modelled for the sculpture: Pignatelli for the body and Danielli for the head. The stance of the walking figure comes from Pignatelli, who posed with both heels on the floor.
Around 1888, Rodin made a study of a
torso after a motif he had encountered in Michelangelo’s drawings and
models. The torso is roughly modelled and has an irregular and marked
surface, which catches the light creating a dynamic effect.
Between 1898 and 1900 Rodin made changes to many of his sculptures. He decided to combine the legs of John the Baptist with the now damaged clay version of the torso from 1888. This laid the basis for L’Homme Qui Marche. In 1907 a larger plaster version was produced, which was cast in bronze in 1911. The Musée Rodin in Paris, which administers Rodin’s estate, has authorised twelve copies of the sculpture.
|location since||2000, Westersingel, Culturele as, City Center|
|dimensions sculpture (hxwxl) in cm||225 x 130 x 65|
|material||yellow copper alloy|
Moving images of Auguste Rodin, late 19th / early 20th century
Marco & Jordi (Ro Theater) tijdens Jubileum SIR op 11 september 2011
- video archive »